Copyright © Maryanne of New York. All rights reserved. website & images by Joni Iadevaia
An enzyme peel, which literally helps to peel dead skin cells off the face, is used to deeply cleanse and resurface the skin. By removing dead skin cells on the upper layer of the skin tissue, the face is left clearer. You will have a more even tone and texture. These peels also help to promote renewal within healthy skin cells.
An enzyme peel is often made with fruit enzymes from such fruit as papaya, green apples, pineapple, pumpkin and aloe. The enzymes found in these fruits both nourish the skin and help to slough off the dead skin cells.
These peels are often referred to as restorative enzyme peels. This is because the skin becomes healthier and more able to heal and renew itself.
An enzyme peel can reduce acne by thoroughly cleaning the pores and removing dead skin cells that may be clogging the pore and improve clarity in the skin.
Smoking and Drinking Have Negative Effects on the Skin
The causes of sagging and wrinkling skin are typically caused by aging. There are high levels of collagen in younger skin. As we age, the body produces less collagen, and sagging skin can occur. Did you know cigarette smoking and alcohol consumption are also contributing factors?
Aside from the obvious reasons not to smoke (lung cancer, emphysema, heart disease), there are a few reasons why smoking is risky from an appearance standpoint.
• The negative effects of smoking on the skin will make you look older. In a few years you’ll probably look older than your non-smoking peers, and the effects will continue to age you, and create skin problems.
• Wrinkles around the eyes and mouth become prominent and typically occurs at a younger ages, and skin may be dry or flaky.
• There are often deep lines in the cheeks which can form, in addition to shallower lines throughout the cheek areas and the lower jaw.
• The skin can take on a discolored or grayish appearance or may take on a red or yellowish tone.
• A smoker’s face is often more worn and rugged in appearance, while the skin sometimes has a leathery quality to it.
• The contours of bones in the face often become more prominent.
• Dry or chapped lips are another effect of smoking on the skin.
The collagen and elastic fibers that hold skin together are often thickened and fragmented by smoking. Blood circulation can be affected by cigarette smoke as well, limiting the oxygen that gets to the facial skin. A lack of collagen often means there is less water in facial skin, which increases wrinkles.
Alcohol consumption also has negative effects on the skin.
• Alcohol consumption is also believed to contribute to sagging skin and other signs of aging, because it can cause the expansion of capillaries near the surface of the skin. Regular alcohol consumption can cause these capillaries to break, giving skin a more aged appearance and a permanent redness to appear on one’s face.
• Drinking too much alcohol can also irritate a skin condition known as acne rosacea.
• Large amounts of alcohol consumption can cause blemishes and blotch bumps to appear on the face.
• Extended alcohol consumption can cause wrinkles because the skin can become dehydrated.
• Also, overindulgence of alcohol causes a decrease in the body’s level of vitamin A. This is a very important antioxidant vitamin that supports body and skin.
Drink Up! Drink up!
By drinking alkaline water there is a potential to increase stamina, reduce aging and prevent cancer, among other benefits. I have been drinking alkaline water for more than 6 months now and I really do feel better. I don’t go anywhere without it.
According to Wisegeek.com, alkaline water, or ionized water as it is also referred to, has a pH of approximately 8, depending on the brand or the equipment used to alkalize the water. Normal water has a neutral pH, which is the number 7 on the scale. Water, depending on its source, also has the potential to be slightly acidic.
Some food is naturally acidic and too much acidity in our bloodstream has a negative effect on our body. Drinking alkaline water can balance the pH and reverse some of the harmful effects.
There are claims that alkaline water can:
Slow the aging process
Stop free radicals
Flush toxin and keep them from accumulating in the body
Prevent dry skin by keeping the body’s pH balanced
Prevent eczema, acne, pimples and other skin disorders.
There are several ways to turn regular tap water into pH balanced alkaline water.
You can add an alkalizer system to your kitchen sink, buy bottled alkalilne water or purchase the travel packs. Whenever you drink water, testing it first will guarantee it is pH balanced.
Do your research and then try for yourself. If you would like a sample, bring an empty 2 gallon jug to your next appointment at Maryanne of New York. I will be happy to share some of my supply with you.
• In between your monthly facial the use of an enzyme scrub will help reduce the build-up of dead skin cells causing clogging lifeless skin.
• Quit smoking!! If you can’t, drink extra water and have oxygen collagen stimulating facials 2x a month.
• Facial exercises are believed to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and restore a sagging jaw line.
• Drink up! The proponents of alkaline drinking water claim that it can increase stamina, reduce aging and prevent cancer, among other benefits.
• Some of the best tips for glowing skin are to take excellent care of it by cleansing, exfoliating, and moisturizing regularly. Maintaining a healthy diet and drinking plenty of water, while avoiding refined carbohydrates and sugars can also help to create a dewy complexion.
• Use a broad spectrum sunscreen. Photo-aging is the damage that skin can suffer from exposure to sunlight over the years. The appearance of wrinkles and dark spots, leathery texture, and sagging of the skin are among the harmful effects caused by sun’s radiation.
• Visit the dermatologist on a yearly basis to receive a full body cancer screening.
• Receive a body peel bi-yearly to rejuvenate your skin
• It is often said that if someone shaves hair, it will grow back coarser, darker, thicker and/or faster. This is not true, although it has persisted as an urban legend. Shaving the hair will never result in coarser hair.
• Use mineral makeup because it is naturally good for your skin and it doesn’t contain the harsh ingredients used in other types of makeup.
• Treating acne can be done with any number of products mostly containing benzoyl peroxide or glycolic, lactic or salicylic acid. Make sure to regularly wash your face with warm water and an acne cleanser, reducing the amount of oil on the skin that can build up and cause blockage.
• Make sure in your skin care routine you are using a topical vitamin C. The effects of vitamin C on skin may include sun damage reversal and reduced aging.